Criminal injury compensation claims

If you, a family member or a friend have sustained injury as a result of a criminal act then you may be able to apply for compensation through the Government’s Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority usually referred to as the CICA.

The CICA will investigate your claim and if they agree to deal with your claim then they will instruct the relevant medical expert to prepare a report on your injury.

The claim is processed through the CICA’s claim portal on their website. Based upon the medical report the CICA will offer you a sum in compensation for your injury and certain out of pocket expenses.

What the CICA will not investigate?

The CICA will not investigate your claim if the following applies:

  • your accident occurred more than 2 years’ prior to making a claim
  • you have not reported your accident to the police
  • if you reported the accident but have then failed to co-operate with the police
  • you have a criminal record

Our Personal Injury lawyers have provided guidance to clients through the criminal injury compensation process following acts of violence through the Criminal Injury Compensation Authority (CICA) scheme.

Contact us

If you, a family member or a friend have suffered injury as a result of a criminal act and you would like to speak to a member of our Personal Injury team please call our Personal Injury lawyers on Freephone: 0808 164 0808for a FREE, no-obligation chat or complete the request a call back form and we will call you.